From the BVN Registration format, to the Nigerian National ID Card. It keeps getting better, learning to keep your personal details in check, nationally. We stand to lose nothing acquiring the National ID Card. Even former president “Jonathan” did his in a grand style.
The National ID Card
The National ID Card is really all about you. Well, maybe not all of it. Here’s what the plastic card really contains:
- Name and surname of the holder;
- Date of birth;
- Middle Name
- Issue Date
- Chip plate
- Face-Shoulder Passport Photograph
- Document Number/ Card Number
- Expiry Date of the card
The National Identification Number (NIN)
According to the National Identity Management Commission (NIMC), the organization responsible for this Number, they say:
The National Identification Number (NIN) is the unique number which identifies you for life
Moreover, it is the number given to every citizen of Nigeria after the individual has been successfully enrolled with the NIMC. That enrollment consists of:
- Digital signature;
- Capture of ten fingerprints;
- Individual’s Demographic Data Record;
- Shoulder-Facial picture.
Furthermore, an NIN can never be used for someone else after an individual receives his/her NIN from the system, even if the former user becomes deceased. The number cannot be used to represent someone else so that no one’s details are permanently lost
Steps To Obtain the NIN and Card
Once you are 16 years old, you are free to register
1a. The Do-It-Yourself Process
- Visit the official website of NIMC (www.nimc.gov.ng) and pre-enrol online using the Pre-enrolment Portal (https://penrol.nimc.gov.ng/)
- Fill in your personal data in block letters,
- And print out a summary sheet that has a 2D Barcode.
- It is important to note that the Online Pre-Enrolment is an initial step in the enrolment process. The enrolment is only completed after the applicant gets his or her biometric data (fingerprints, headshot photograph and signature) captured and processed by an Enrolment Officer at any NIMC Enrolment Centre.
1b. Get Help From an Enrollment Officer
- Download the Enrolment Form to print out and fill.
- To download your enrolment form online go to www.nimc.gov.ng.
- Then, fill all forms in block letters and proceed to the nearest enrolment Centre for biometrics capturing in order to obtain the National Identification Number (NIN).
- Note: you can also pick up an enrolment form at NIMC’S ERC.
2. Visit any NIMC Center
- Go with any of these documents stated on their website
- And take your form along with you if it was previously printed and filled
- Follow the rest of the instructions you receive at the centre. And that’s all
**AND JUST FOR REMEMBRANCE SAKE, ENROLLMENT IS ABSOLUTELY FREE OF CHARGE**