While others celebrate the union of a new journey, some others are departing this world to begin another journey of life. One of such persons to die this year is Winnie Mandela. When there is life, there is also death
SOUTH AFRICAN WINNIE MANDELA DIES AT 81
Winnie Madikizela Mandela was born on the 26th of September 1936, and died on the 2nd of April 2018. She became engaged to Nelson on the 25th of May 1958, in Johannesburg, and got married in the same year 14th of June. And ever since her marriage to the Rights-Activist Nelson Mandela, she experienced ups and downs that rocked their marriage.
Nevertheless, Winnie Mandela stood by her husband all through his 27 years imprisonment, and after the time of his release. And during the time of Nelson’s jail time, she wasn’t left to live her life in peace. She continually battled with pressures from the government to make her stop her fight for her husband’s release.
She was subjected to the following struggles in the following order:
- A banning Order on 28th December 1962.
- Expulsion of her children from any school enrolled in
- A new Banning Order extended beyond Dusk – Dawn, to being restricted in terms of location in 1965
- A house raid on 12 May 1969 where she was taken away from her daughters
- 200 Days in Solitary confinement
- 5 Days and Nights of Constant Interrogation with no sleep
- Another Banning Order lasting for 5 Years
- Constant Police Raids occurring up to 4 times a day
- Another Arrest In May 1973
- With more banning orders as the years went by
This is what her family had to say about her life upon news of her death: